Thursday, June 5, 2008

Today I found old poetry,,,


Poetry I wrote when my youngest was about 3 years old. After reading it I felt so bad for writing some of the things I wrote, and did. I actually thought if I die and someone finds this they are going to think I was crazy. I think I was on the brink of some mental break down back then, obviously I felt it or I wouldn't have written about it. Those were hard years , from the time he was 2 until I would say 5. Even today though, I often do not have the patience with him, and wish it was bedtime. Things have dramatically improved though, since he has learned that his behaviours do have consequences , and he knows right from wrong. Back then in his first years of life, he had no concern for the people he hurt, the rules he broke or the things he ruined. ADHD is like that..they are impulsive, have little regard for rules, and have so much energy you dont know how to harness it. Today he still has an overabundance of energy, and he is so relentless it drives me to drink, serioulsy some days I need one. If the energy is not being harnessed in some productive way, he will find an unproductive way to use it. Every day is a new story around here. Thank goodness I have read about many many people with ADHD that have become extremely successful, and are very intelligent ..I know my son is very smart it's just sometimes he doesn't want to use that intelligence in the best ways. So my poetry today, is more about the things I see happening with his growth, the good things that have happened since the days I was a wreck. I never thought I would get through those days, and I used to go to bed, and think what will tomorrow bring, what things will happen that will test my patience. Now I go to bed and think about the progress he has made, and the future he will have. It's been a long road to get here, and he is only six!! I know there will be many ,many more challenges ahead for me, and him, but I think I am handling it a lot better now, and with less drinks too !! LOL...

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Edie: I remember some of the stories and incidents you would share. I never understood how you coped. How you got through it all. Please, don't think any less of yourself. You are an amazing mom, and you got through it! Look at your boys! You deserve a pretty big medal!

love you always, and you will be the one I go to for advice on parenting.

Day by Day..Homeschool Life & more! said...

Thanks Stef,,, those are kind words,,, Hugs,, e

The Long Road said...

Oh God, now that I am raising a high-energy toddler, I am in the same position as you were...as far as feeling frustrated and alone. Somedays are just too long, and I have to search pretty deep to find the patience to enjoy her. So many mornings I get up and think, "let's just get through today, it can only get better", but that isn't always enough. Being a mom is hard, the hardest thing many of us will ever have to do. I am glad to hear about other mom's struggles, it makes me feel less like a failure knowing others feel these same things.